Fireplaces are an excellent heating system for a house, provided they are used properly. To avoid accidents, it is important to follow a number of tips for the safe use of the fireplace. Here are ten tips for 100% safe use of the fireplace.
Ten tips for safe use of the chimney
Use the right fuel
Wood is the most suitable fuel for lighting a fire in the fireplace. Avoid using other materials such as paper, cardboard, plastic or other flammable products that can cause fires.
Use old, dry firewood
Apart from using wood to light the fire, the type of wood you use is also important, as they do not all burn in the same way. Old, dry wood is ideal for lighting a fire in the fireplace, whereas fresh or wet wood produces a lot of smoke and is difficult to light.
In addition, hardwoods, such as oak or holm oak, burn longer and produce less smoke, as they burn more slowly, while softwoods burn more easily, so be careful when lighting them.
Do not use flammable liquids or products to light the fire
Flammable liquids such as petrol, alcohol or oil can produce large amounts of smoke or even cause fires, so it is a very bad idea to use these types of products to light the fireplace or fan the flames. The best way to light wood is to use kindling tablets or logs, which are made specifically for the task.
Use a fireplace screen or chimney cap
Fireplace screens or covers prevent sparks from jumping into the fireplace and causing fires. They also protect people from burns when passing near the fireplace.
Check that the chimney is not obstructed
It is important to check that the chimney is free of obstructions before lighting the fire. This will prevent smoke from building up in the fireplace and causing respiratory problems or carbon monoxide poisoning.
Do not burn waste or rubbish in the fireplace
It is dangerous to burn waste, rubbish or rubbish in the fireplace, as these types of objects can burn uncontrollably, produce large amounts of smoke and even cause fires.
In addition, throwing such materials into the chimney can release toxic gases into the environment that are harmful to health.
Light small, live fires
Don’t try to light large fires in your fireplace, as this can cause excessive smoke and also overheat and damage the chimney flues. It is better to feed the fire slowly with a small number of pieces. Lighting small, lively fires will allow you to maintain optimum control of the fire in the fireplace and good energy efficiency.
Remove the ashes produced and check that they are completely extinguished.
Ashes produced by the use of the fireplace are potential combustibles. This means that they can cause fires if they are not removed correctly. In addition, make sure that they are completely extinguished before leaving the fireplace or going to bed. To do this, it is a good idea to dampen them before throwing them away.
Clean the chimney and sweep the chimney regularly
It is very important to clean and sweep the chimney regularly to remove the residues accumulated in the chimney flues and to keep its outer and inner surface clean. This will make the chimney work better and avoid the unnecessary risk of debris falling into the chimney base and causing an accident or fire.
Keep an eye on children
Children are the most likely to be injured around an open fire such as a fireplace, so it is important to keep a constant eye on them when there is a fire burning in the fireplace.
If you follow all the recommendations, nothing should happen, but not neglecting children will prevent accidents or serious injuries caused by contact with fire or flying sparks.
The above tips are essential to maintain a safe use of the fireplace in your home without any risk to you and your loved ones. Follow these recommendations to enjoy the heat generated by your fireplace without worrying about any unnecessary danger. And if you have any other questions about the correct use of the fireplace, do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to answer them.